WASHINGTON – U.S. Senators Roger Wicker, R-Miss., and Cindy Hyde-Smith, R-Miss., and U.S. Representative Michael Guest, R-Miss., today announced the award of more than $17 million in Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grants for improvement work at eight Mississippi airports.
The Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grants, which include entitlement and appropriated funds, represent the third round of funding for airfields in Mississippi. The lawmakers announced $16 million in second-round AIP funding in May.
“Continually improving aviation infrastructure is essential to maintaining the safety, capacity, and capability of airports in our state,” said Wicker. “These investments in airports across Mississippi will help promote economic development, travel, and tourism jobs.”
“Airport improvement grants provide pivotal funding that allows Mississippi communities to repair and improve their airport facilities whether they’re major facilities like Medgar Evers or smaller. These facilities represent assets that can support and grow economic development,” Hyde-Smith said.
“Air travel and shipping are critical components of Mississippi’s economy to create robust centers of trade and growth. With these grants, Mississippi will be able to expand our critical air infrastructure systems to create an even more prosperous Mississippi,” Guest said.
The eight third-round AIP grants include:
- Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport, Jackson – $13,596,966 for taxiway and taxiway lighting rehabilitation
- Tunica Municipal Airport, Tunica – $1,150,000 for taxiway lighting and runway lighting reconstruct, and runway vertical visual guidance system installation
- George M. Bryan Airport, Starkville – $947,826 for runway extension
- John Bell Williams Airport, Raymond – $746,988 for runway lighting reconstruction
- Grenada Municipal Airport, Grenada – $239,229 for runway rehabilitation and sealing runway pavement and pavement joints
- Yazoo County Airport, Yazoo City – $144,000 for updating the airport master plan
- Bruce Campbell Field, Madison – $135,000 for apron reconstruction
- Vicksburg Municipal Airport, Vicksburg – $55,328 for runway rehabilitation