WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Roger Wicker, R-Miss., a senior member of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee, today questioned a panel of experts about innovative approaches for combating future cyber threats. Wicker’s comments came during a committee hearing focused on cybersecurity and emerging technologies – such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, and quantum computing. These technologies have enormous potential to revolutionize the cybersecurity arena and grow the economy.
Wicker specifically asked questions about how to attract and train the cybersecurity workforce within the American education system in an effort to meet opportunities and challenges. Mr. Barlow discussed the need to increase the percentage of qualified women in the industry, which is currently only 10 percent.
The following witnesses testified before the Committee:
- The Honorable Eric Rosenbach, Former Chief of Staff, Office of the Secretary of Defense; Former Assistant Secretary of Defense for Homeland Defense and Global Security
- Mr. Caleb Barlow, Vice President, Threat Intelligence, IBM Security
- Mr. Venky Ganesan, Chair, National Venture Capital Association; Partner, Menlo Ventures
- Mr. Steve Grobman, Chief Technology Officer and Intel Fellow, Intel Security
- Mr. Malcolm Harkins, Chief Security and Trust Officer, Cylance Corporation