WASHINGTON – U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., today issued the following statement after being named chairman of the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. The new role will give Senator Wicker a powerful new position to support Mississippi’s interests at the national level:
“I thank my colleagues for their support in electing me chairman of the Commerce Committee,” said Wicker. “I would also like to thank Sen. John Thune, the committee’s former chairman, for his exemplary leadership these past four years. The chairmanship is a great responsibility given the committee’s broad jurisdiction across diverse sectors of our economy. I look forward to serving alongside our new ranking member, Sen. Maria Cantwell, and my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to build on the committee’s successes and continue moving our economy forward.”
As chairman of the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Wicker will have broad authority over legislation that will impact Mississippi’s future economic prosperity and safety, including proposals to:
- Upgrade our transportation networks;
- Expand high-speed internet and communications service to rural areas;
- Protect consumer data and privacy;
- Improve fisheries and oceans management on the Gulf Coast;
- Advance science, technology, and engineering research in our state’s universities and at NASA and NOAA; and
- Enhance our national security through continued support for the Coast Guard.
For a full description of the committee’s jurisdiction, click here.